Pursuant to the request made by the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development soon after touring ZIMDEF funded projects, ZIMDEF organized a STEM Workshop to discuss the STEM Initiative. The STEM Workshop was held at Montclair Resort & Casino from the 28th to the 31st of March 2017. The workshop was attended by Parliamentary Portfolio Committee members of the Higher & Tertiary Education, Science & Technology Development (HTESTD), Information Communication and Technology (ICT) and Education Sports Arts and Culture (ESAC), MoHTESTD Officials and ZIMDEF Management. The workshop was attended by sixty four delegates with 29 members being the total number of the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee members.
The objectives of the workshop were outlined as follows:-
- To raise awareness on STEM;
- To share and discuss information on ZIMDEF’s investment into the STEM Initiative;
- To appreciate the importance of STEM education for Zimbabwe’s quest for industrialization and modernization; and
- To give feedback about the STEM Initiative.
The presentations led to questions which were grouped into four thematic areas that were then discussed by the participants. The thematic areas were on funding, policy and governance, coordination and collaboration as well as administration of the fund. The major resolutions from the discussions were as follows;
- STEM was the way to go for the country to industrialize and modernize and therefore recommendations were made to promote STEM;
- All Members of Parliament had to be educated on STEM through an organized workshop since they are ambassadors in their constituencies;
- The Manpower Planning and Development Act needs to be revised to encourage sound corporate governance;
Support is needed for University students.
Parliamentary Portfolio Committee Members group photo at the STEM Workshop